Sunday 7 March 2010

Shellsuit Zombie Talk

During our visit to London our tutors had contacted Shellsuit Zombie to talk about their experiences of getting a job after leaving as a graduate, also the possibilities of finding a job in a different city other than Manchester.
The talk was in a basement of a pub called the Cross-Kings, Kings-Cross, London. We walked in the find a live jazz band. Which i found really good. I was particularly looking forward to the talk, especially because I am a student who is in my last year, and I don't know what to expect after graduating, because not a lot is written about the huge step. This is what Shellsuit Zombie are about informing students about the steps from graduate to finding a job. What makes the talk more special is that they are still rather fresh from leaving and graduating university them self's and most of them found jobs this year, after completing placements.
I really enjoyed the talk as it wasn't structured, but the Shellsuit made the talk fun and it constantly changed direction. As I was talking to James Felcture a part of Shellsuit who told me it was their first talk to students and they are "Starting A Revolution". They talk consisted of each member talking about their story from graduating to finding a job, it contained quiz's, live speed-briefs and a question and answer section. I found James story more relevant to me because his story was explained in more detail. He even told us recently he was offered a job at a design agency he would not name, but turned it down because it had no nice coffee shop near by.
Jonny Birch and Rob Butcher talked about studying in different areas of graphic design whilst being at university, but getting a job in other areas of design. Elle Offord got some one else to talk about her story because I think she was shy, but after graduating she went to do a 6 months placement in France and also did some free-lancing.
After the talk finished we had a chance to ask some questions. I asked the question towards James "What made James turn against D&Ad?" which was answered in some detail, but the main point he said was because D&AD don't help you get a job at the end of graduating. I thought this is a valid point also having some guts will get you noticed.
All in all a very good positive talk, with some valid points. Thank you very much Shellsuit Zombie.

No comments: